Plages du débarquement
German cemeteries in Normandy
The German soldiers have been buried in 1400 communities in
the départements Manche, Orne and Calvados. In 1956 the
Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge (German War Grave
Commission) started to move the remains of more than 12.000
German soldiers to six main German cemeteries in Champigny-St.
André, St. Désir-de-Lisieux, Marigny, La Cambe, Orglandes and
The largest German cemetery is located in La Cambe, a little
village 24 km in the west of Bayeux. In the visitor center is
a little exhibition on the German War Graves Commission and a
data base to search for the names of German soldiers.
When travelling along the landing beaches please take the time
to make a stop at one of the cemeteries in memory of the
soldiers of World War Two.